There are an increasing number of volunteer programs that offer hands-on science training in exchange for data collection. This is citizen science!
Learn about a topic such as water quality monitoring, invasive fish ecology, or local bird populations and contribute valuable data to a variety of scientists in a variety of fields. These projects making science learning way more than learning facts. Families get to Do Science and learn science facts as a side effect! Here are a few in our region and nationally.
National Citizen Science Opportunities
- Project W.H.E.A.T. (forthcoming and our inaugural Citizens of Creation: Science project)
- IdaH2O – Idaho Master Water Stewards Program
- HIS, Inc. IdaH2O Workshop (Nov. 7, 2015)
- Washington Dept. of Fish & Wildlife
- Urban Pollination Project
- Coastal Observation & Seabird Survey Team
- Pacific Northwest Invasive Plant Council